Coco peat or coco pith is one and the same product referred in different countries by two different names. Coco Peat is a natural fiber made out of coconut husks. The extraction of the coconut fiber from husks gives the by-product called Coco Peat in the form of dust and it is a 100% natural growing medium. The coco peat powder or dust thus obtained is sieved, washed, dried and finally compressed into blocks called coco peat blocks which are then used for horticultural and agricultural applications and also as an industrial absorbent. Coco peat is economical and Eco-friendly alternative to traditional peat moss. Coco peat is the most ideal growing medium for plant crops because of its high water holding capacity and air filled porosity.
ADVANTAGES AND USES OF COCO PEAT
- Agricultural And Domestic Gardening :
- Coco Peat has innumerable advantages in the agricultural and domestic gardening. Some of them are in potting mix, horticulture cultivation, nursery beds for seedlings, in gardens to conserve water, orchids, mushroom cultivation, plantation crops, etc.
- The main advantage is that the valuable nitrogen is preserved in Coco Peat and moisture content is retained mainly in potting mix in home gardening.
- Coco Peat is a multi-purpose growing medium, which is very easy to use. Its high air filled porosity and high water holding capacity makes it the ideal medium for all plant growing applications.
- Coco Peat is an excellent substrate for vegetable, fruit and cut flower crops. Coco Peat has many applications as an effective soil conditioner and soil-free substrate.
2. Botanical :
- Coco peat is used as a soil additive. Due to low levels of nutrients in its composition, coco peat is usually not the sole component in the medium used to grow plants. When plants are grown exclusively in coco peat, it is important to add nutrients according to the specific plants’ needs. Coco peat contains several macro- and micro-plant nutrients, including substantial quantities of potassium.
- Coco Peat is an excellent substrate for root development and therefore transplanting can be made directly into it with no need for any further treatment or agent.
3. Coco Peat For Domestic Gardening :
- Coco Peat has found its usage in farms, greenhouse-horticulture, hydro seed spray, and landscapes and also used as a substitute for potting soil. Coco Peat is a worldwide solution for soil less growing and it is also a very good growing media for home gardening.
- The Coco Peat enables the plant to develop a strong root system very quickly.
4. Coco Peat for Oil Industry: Being a good absorbent, dry coco peat can be used as an oil absorbent on slippery floors.
Benefits of coco coir/peat are as following:
- High water holding capacity.
- Acceptable pH & EC.
- Excellent wet ability, superior to peat.
- Ability to retain nutrients against leaching and to buffer supply.
- Good drainage / aeration.
- Retains physical properties longer.
- Light weight.
- No pests, weeds, or diseases.
- Odorless and pleasant to handle.
- Natural and renewable resource.
- Uniform in composition.
- 100% Organic.
- Promotes strong root growth and plant vigor.
- Absorbs water readily and re-wets easily, thus reducing the need for wetting agents.
- Reduces watering frequency without plant stress, thereby reducing labor costs and minimizing plant loss.
- Increases shelf life of plants.
Main uses of coco peat are as:
- Potting mixes
- Green houses
- Hydroponics growing media
- Nursery & garden center professionals
- Seedling nurseries
- Lawn and golf courses
- Horticulture and floriculture applications
- Home gardening (indoor and outdoor) and for landscaping use
- Amending clay soils
- Worm bedding